Drafted into the German army at age 19, our founder and ancestor Kurt Pechmann was captured by British forces in Europe at the end of World War II and shipped to Wisconsin as a prisoner of war. He worked in Wisconsin on farms, in factories—wherever there was a job to be done. He and his fellow POWs were friendly and courteous to the local Wisconsinites, and the kindness was returned to them tenfold.
Kurt’s humane treatment at the hands of his American captors led him to believe he wanted to live here. So after being freed and returned to Germany, he came back to Wisconsin in 1952 to live and work with his new wife, our mother and grandmother Emilie.
Kurt’s treatment as a POW inured him with a humble and grateful attitude toward U.S. veterans, and he felt obligated to repay the kindness he received. He did so by creating a legacy of dignified and beautiful veteran memorials dedicated to America’s fighting men and women: a legacy that we strive to continue.
Scroll down to see a gallery of the veteran memorials we have created over the years throughout Wisconsin. And please contact us for more information about creating a veteran memorial or other kind of public memorial for your organization or municipality—or repairing one that might have fallen victim to time or vandalism. Or go to:
- Lodi Veterans Memorial Lodi, WI – 1990
- Wisconsin Korean War Veterans Memorial Plover, WI – 1991
- Wisconsin Medal of Honor Memorial Rock County, WI – 1991
- Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Memorial Milwaukee, WI – 1991
- Mt. Horeb Veterans Memorial Mt. Horeb, WI – 1992
- Wisconsin Law Enforcement Memorial Madison, WI – 1998
- Waunakee Veterans Memorial Waunakee, WI – 2003
- Columbus Veterans Memorial Columbus, WI – 2007
- Elkhart Lake Veterans Memorial Elkhart Lake, WI – 2007
- DeForest Veterans Memorial DeForest, WI – 2008
- Sun Prairie Veterans Memorial Sun Prairie, WI – 2008
- Dane County Veterans Memorial Monona, WI – 2009
- Cross Plains Veterans Memorial Cross Plains, WI – 2010
- Rio Veterans Memorial Rio, WI
- Daughters of the American Revolution, Black Hawk Wisconsin Heights – 2009
- Verona Veterans Memorial Verona, WI 2012
- WI Medal of Honor at the Veterans Home in King, WI 2012
- Monticello Area Veterans Memorial Monticello, WI – 2012